Electrical Door to Door Complaints

Good morning.  We have been receiving calls and emails from residents and/or employees in your office about electrical/gas supplier solicitations.  These can either be by phone or someone that stops by their home.  The complaints include these sales people being pushy and rude.  I personally had a phone solicitation about a month ago that gave me incorrect information about the ComEd price to compare.  If you receive a complaint from a resident, they are more than welcome to file a complaint on that company with the ICC.  Below is a website or phone number that someone can file a complaint.  They will want to have as much information as possible like company name, time they called or stopped by, etc.  This is the only way the ICC will know about companies behaving inappropriately. After I filed a complaint I was contacted by the company and the ICC to resolve the issue which led to that person being removed from phone call solicitation.

If you have questions, please let me know.  Thanks.

Marni Henert Energy Consultant Rock River Energy Services, Co.

 Individuals can file a complaint online at http://www.icc.illinois.gov/consumer/complaint/ or by calling 1-800-524-0795.  We really need the individuals to file so that we have a complete record of what is occurring and then have the information to pursue further if necessary.